Preparing For Your Dextrose or PRP Treatment
- Be sure to take a 1,000 mg of vitamin C in the morning and the evening before your appointment. This helps with your healing process. It would be ideal if you could start taking the 1,000 mg of vitamin C as soon as you know you will be having this procedure done, even if it’s months away. Take the vitamin C with food, and stop taking it if your stomach becomes upset. If you have reflux then be sure the vitamin C is enteric coated.
- Make sure you are getting the proper amount of protein (at least 1.0 gram/kilogram of your body weight). Vegetarians may need a protein supplement.
- Stop taking any anti-inflammatories 48 hours prior to your treatment (and 10 days afterward). This includes Alcohol, any Cannabis products, all caffeine (coffee and tea), Motrin, Advil, Relafen, Feldene, Naprosyn, Alleve, Ibuprofen, Clinoril, Voltaren, Magnesium and Aspirin. Also avoid any anti-inflammatory herbs as well: ginger, green tea, turmeric, rosemary, peppermint, lavender and holy basil (tulsi). You may take baby aspirin at bedtime.
- For your comfort, you may take 650 mg of Tylenol 1 hour before your appointment and you can take this every 6 hours after your Prolotherapy treatment (if needed).
- No cortisone, prednisone or steroids 6 weeks prior to the procedure. Unfortunately, these medications (all steroids) interfere with the inflammatory process. They will need to be out of your system for 6 weeks. If you are on long-term steroids, please call us to discuss.
- If you are having PRP, and you have any issues with anemia, be sure you are taking iron. We recommend Carbonyl iron as it is the most easily absorbed.
- Let us know if you have any allergies to medications with corn or “caine” anesthetics.
- Let us know if you are on any blood thinners.
- If we are treating your ankle or foot, please soak it in warm soapy water for an hour before your procedure. Bring an elastic wrap to your appointment. You will need to wear this wrap for 6 weeks after your treatment.